Thursday, January 6, 2011

The New Year 2011

Every year starts off with anticipation of new horizons, new opportunities, and hopefully new challenges to conquer.  About five years ago,  I decided to not make new years resolutions. I decided that putting all that pressure on myself at the beginning of a year, that I should make improvements to my life as I find the opportunity to do so when I do so.   In example, I quit smoking in December about 9 years ago, when I smoked the last of the one in the current pack I had open.  I started working out, shortly after, but got really serious about in a spring one year.    During a round of golf one year, I decided to increase my strength.

The secret is to attack your own weaknesses and make positive changes when you're are your weakest.   That's when you will be the most open to the change that needs to be made.  If you're unhappy with your weight,  perhaps the time you'd really be open to dieting would be right after you looked in a mirror and didn't see the figure you wanted to.  When your frustrated with something that is the time to attack it.

One thing Ive found helpful is to take the big goals, and break them down into small achievable goals that by achieving them, you begin to achieve the main goal.  The most rewarding part for me, was that as I crossed off the smaller goal, I realize that I'm closer to reaching the original goal.  I have found that even large goals, are dwarfed by  dissecting them into manageable tasks which are far less intimidating makes them easier to succeed.    With each success, you'll find that your confidence will increase, allowing you to succeed more.    It will become a cycle of victories.  You'll feel better and your confidence will spread to everything you do. 

So if you made a resolution this year, perhaps take another look at it.  If it can be outlined into smaller goals, try putting them in a to do list of  self improvement.   It worked for me, and Its the only way I set goals now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey speak up Id like to hear what you're thinking.