Thursday, August 12, 2010

Customer Service.

If you Own, manage, or work at an establishment that requires you to deal with customers, I have a tip for you.  You can choose to follow it, or run the risk of going out of business.  These rules are simple and apply to all businesses.  Where they are specific to one type of business Ive indicated so.

When I walk in, at least make eye contact.  If you want me to buy something say hello make me feel welcomed.  You don't have to tell me your life story, or your business secrets, but don't treat me as an intrusion and expect me to buy anything.

When I ask you a question, don't roll your eyes, or give me a big sigh, that's why you have a job, if I could serve myself without talking to you at all, you wouldn't be there.  one thing that pisses me off to no end, is to have to cough or say excuse me when you are reading the paper, magazine or watching the TV.   If you are on your cell phone and not taking care of me, expect me to get pissed.  If you don't like waiting on people go get a job where you wont have to.   Remember you made a choice to work where you do.  If you don't like that much that you spend your day being a miserable jerk, then quit.

When you see me standing and waiting, or I ask you if you work there?... don't tell me its not your job, department, shift, or area.  If you work there, GO and get someone.   If you were really smart, You'd be able to help me in any department.  Why?  Because that's how people move into management.

First impressions are lasting impressions.  So comb or brush your hair, your teeth.  Clean your nails, wear clean clothes. you know the basic hygiene your parents should  have told you about?  Yeah they weren't kidding.   Do your self a favor, don't wear excessive jewelery, makeup, facial piercings, or other accessories that aren't appropriate for the work environment.  Hey don't wear your perfume so heavy that we can smell you from a mile away.

1 comment:

  1. Here's a winner. Javier at Sears in Chicago, off Cicero. His mechanics, did such a lousy job on my daughters car, it could have killed her. Hes been a real charm to deal with. First he told me that you cant see the control arms, when you change the tires, perform a full brake job, including pads rotors, drums, and pads, or when you install a new tie rod. Then when I proved him wrong on that he became obstinate and I had to complain to the sears customer service department to get him to even be human. Even after his District Manager told him to take care of the problem, he's still being a smart aleck about it and blowing me off. Never ever take your car to sears in the city.

    ReplyDelete

hey speak up Id like to hear what you're thinking.